84 applicants worldwide, 10 finalists and six winners. A new wave of Ocean Action is about to begin thanks to your vote.
Nearly 3,000 of you voted in the 2013 Ocean Action Project helping to deliver much needed support to six new conservation projects strongly focused on manta ray and shark protection as well as educational projects targeting marine debris.
The 2013 winning Ocean Action Projects are:
- Ecotourism and Awareness for Manta Ray Conservation, Planeta Oceano, Peru
- Protecting Sharks and Rays from Fishing Boats in the Andaman Sea, Blue Guru Conservation, Thailand
- What Goes Around Comes Around – Communicating Marine Debris Science Through Visual Arts, The Plastic Ocean Project, USA
- Thailand eShark Project, Shark Guardian, Thailand
- The Great Fiji Shark Count, Fiji Dive Operators, Fiji Islands
- This Project is Rubbish! South African Shark Conservancy, South Africa
“Every day our conservation leaders face new and difficult battles to protect our ocean. Thanks to our donors Project AWARE is able to deliver support to six Ocean Action Projects building a new wave of protection on the ground and in the water,” says Joanne Marston, Associate Director, Project AWARE Foundation.
All Ocean Action Projects are required to keep a log on their My Ocean profile page so you can keep up to date with the progress. You can read all about the actions and progress of last years winners.
Thank you to everyone who applied.
PADI is giving back to the ocean in celebration of #GivingTuesday, December 3rd – an international day to celebrate giving. To mark the beginning of the holiday season PADI will match all donations to Project AWARE up to $10,000.
And all donations of $150, €125, £100 made by 1 January 2014 receive a Project AWARE eco-ethical t-shirt to show off your support.
PADI’s commitment to #GivingTuesday is an industry first and we encourage all dive centres and PADI divers to give back to the ocean and make #GivingTuesday a day for our ocean planet.
The time to protect the ocean is now: www.projectaware.org/give
How to Give Back on #GivingTuesday?
- Give – all donations, large or small, are critical to our next ocean victory
- Check out our brand NEW video “Ocean Protection Starts with You” and find out why your donation is a great investment for our ocean future
- Show your support of #GivingTuesday by taking a picture, tagging it #unselfie, #GivingTuesday and #projectaware, and sharing on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram until December 4!
- Give your time and Dive Against Debris this December
Thank you to all PADI Divers and PADI Pros who support
Project AWARE. Please look out for more alerts from Project AWARE on how you can get involved!