The About Us page is the #2 most-visited page for most new customers. Unfortunately, many businesses haven’t updated their About Us page in years. Today we’ll take a quick look at what makes a good About Us page and why it’s an important to attract new customers.
The About Us page is like a dating profile for your business. The customer will read about you online and decide if they want to start a business relationship. 58% of Americans research a business online before making a purchase. Just like online dating: people want to check you out before meeting in person.
When you’re ready to take a whack at revising your About Us page, use the questions and ideas below to inspire your writing. For those of you with a Facebook page – consider updating the “Info” section of your FB page as well.
- Why did you start your dive business?
- Why do you love what you do?
- How do you do this better than anyone else?
- How are you different than the other stores in town
(ex. we follow green business practices).
- Where are you located?
- Why should divers buy equipment from you?
- How and when can you be contacted?
- Link to customer testimonials and notable clients
- Link to your Facebook page
- Link to your staff page
Don’t Hurt My Eyeballs
Several short paragraphs are better than one long paragraph. After 4-5 lines of text, people stop reading and start scanning. Break up large blocks of information using bullet points when possible, and edit paragraphs to no more than four lines of text.
Brag a Little
Create a bullet-ed list to of community or industry awards you’ve received and any notable clients (such as the local fire department) – click here for an example. Also include quotes from happy customers, or a link to your testimonials page if you have one – example.
- Include a picture of your building to help people find you.
- Include a group photo of smiling divers or staff
(research shows – photos of people are more appealing than photos of things)
- Bonus Points: add a video
Randomness = Good
As a non-diver, I need to know that you’re professional and won’t drown me, but scuba is also supposed to be fun.
Put something on your page so I know you’re going to show me a good time. This could be a fun photo or just in the way you words things – click here for an example.
For additional ideas, read INC Magazine’s article: How to Design a Great About Us page.
ScubaEarth™ – the new PADI scuba resource and social community is a robust, one-stop site for divers to research, plan and share dive experiences. ScubaEarth hosts everything scuba, from current weather and dive conditions to photos, videos and comments about dive locations, while placing PADI Dive Shops at the hub of this online activity.
The ScubaEarth BETA site is now live for PADI Dive Shops and will be available for all individual PADI Pros and consumers in the coming weeks.
How can PADI Dive Shops login to the BETA site to get started? Simply login to the PADI Pros’ Site using your PADI Dive Shop username and password. Once logged into the PADI Pros’ Site, you can click over to ScubaEarth by following the ScubaEarth link. You can then ensure your PADI Dive Shop Profile is set up with the correct information and familiarise yourself with ScubaEarth.
The How to Set Up Your ScubaEarth Profile guide is also available in the PADI Pros’ Site to assist PADI Dive Shops with the initial set up.
To ensure you are in the prime position to benefit from ScubaEarth make sure you visit the PADI Pros’ Site www.padi.com/mypadiand update your logo, social media links and about us section. It will only take a few minutes and will ensure you are ready for the initial launch!
Your business will have a distinct profile in ScubaEarth™ where you can link to your other popular social media site profiles — like Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and LinkedIn. To take advantage of this feature, enter your information now at the PADI Pros’ Site and you’ll be ready when ScubaEarth launches. Here’s how:
- Login to the PADI Pros’ Site
- Click on My Account
- Click on Social Media Settings tab
- Upload your store logo (140 by 140 pixels)
- Enter links to your profiles at other social media sites. You can also enter the RSS feed link for your blog so your most recent posts will show up in your ScubaEarth profile. If you have a blog, these are the steps to determine what the link is for your blog RSS feed:
- Go to the home page of the desired blog.
- Find the RSS symbol or a link that indicates an RSS feed on the page.
- Click on either the symbol or the link.
- A browser page should appear with information on an RSS feed.
- Highlight and copy the URL listed in the address bar.
- That URL should be your RSS feed URL.
- Enter a short description about your store (750 characters or less)
To get started, visit the PADI Pros’ Site and click the ScubaEarth link!
If you have any questions regarding ScubaEarth please contact your PADI Regional Manager, Peter Driessel or the PADI EMEA office.